Tuesday, June 20, 2017

5k Run adventure -Week 1

I am not athletic....I have not shown interest in the sports in my childhood... But then something happened!!!
I remember my college days when I would miss the bus because I refused to run. I did not one bit like the muscles on my legs getting strained and contracted.

An year back, in the month of Jan, one of my friend suggested we will enrol to a 5k marathon. I think it was called Pinkathon...5k run for ladies. The marathon was held in the month of December so we had ALL the time in the world to practice and enrol. Well..... all the time in the world is always deceiving.. As expected... I practised for a few days and then didn't even think about it for an year. Then obviously the new year resolution to run this year.....The mood cycle was pretty much repetitive and I was falling back to the same tendencies.
At the right time my friend came for the rescue.... :P She enrolled for the marathon and pushed us to do the same... So yes now the target date was fixed as 15 Oct 2017. Initially I focused on Yoga practice for a month. Then my sister recommended a run plan she found online. That triggered more interest in me. Its always good to have a plan...;) Its different if you will follow it though.

Then came the app Poochto5k google app to my rescue. I used it for a week (3days) and uninstalled. This app is for free but it has no voice record. I noticed that I sometimes lost record of whether I should run or walk....It was a bit confusing. So I found another free google app C25k with a training plan to run a 5k marathon. I liked the app as it has a neat voice record, it tracks plan execution, you can pause it, rewind or forward.

Now let me tell you about my running practice. I had completed 1 week of run with Pto5k app. But as mentioned earlier, I have no prior experience to run. So here are my learnings....

Day 1 week 1
My whole body was aching. I had a tough time managing my breath. I actually skipped 2 cycles of run. Next day I had severe knee pain. One day rest was not sufficient. So I took a break for 2 days.
Day 2 Week 1
I somehow managed the workout with lot of cheating ;) Knee pain was again a problem. This time I took 3 days break.
Then I spoke to a trained runner. She suggested that the knee pain could be weak thigh and cuff muscles. Either meet a physiotherapist or do exercises that can strengthen these muscles.

Here Yoga helped a lot. The simple Yoga practice combined with some Pranic self healing sessions, resolved the knee pain issue completely.

Day 3 Week1
I completed the workout without any cheat...no knee pain but I found it very hard to complete run. There was no point in simply jumping to Week 2 as I was sure I cant extend my run duration.

I uninstalled this app. Installed the new app C25K which was more fancy and decided to repeat the Week 1 practice. This time, as suggested in many of the online articles, I did some stretching exercises and yoga the previous day. BINGO.... Day 1 Week 1 repeat cycle went great!!! I was easily able to complete the Week 1 practice.

Day 1 Week 2
This week Monday was Day 1 Week 2. Guess what!!!! Wooooohoooo I did it and I did it with ease. No muscle strain, no body pain, no knee pain. Only mistake was, I forgot to hydrate my body sufficiently. Its important to drink good amount of water before you start the workout.

Its a record break!!! No not Guinness just my own self record. Earlier I have not been able to run for more than 2 mins. I have successfully been able to run for 9 mins!!!! Can you beat this??? Yes of course I will beat it ;) Tomorrow is day 2 and I am looking forward for it!!!!! The aim is to reduce the 2mins break I take after every cycle...

Its an interesting learning about my own body. Human body is so adaptable....so is the mind. We just have to execute the Will to discipline and train it. This time I am going to add some diet tips to my practice.... For now my learning is to drink good amount of water. Will update the rest after I experience it.....Keep an eye here for more :)

No comments:

Post a Comment